At this weekend’s Detroit Holiday Boutique, guest will have their chance to decorate sugar cookies on Saturday, December 1 at 1pm. Mrs. Claus will be on hand to pick the most artistic and delicious sugar cookie.
Hoping to snag first place in our cooking decorating contest? Here are some tips to make your frosting, sprinkles and powdered sugar go a long way on the most traditional of holiday favorites, the sugar cookie.
• Chill cookie dough before rolling.
• Roll smaller rather than larger pieces of dough; keep unrolled dough chilled until you're ready to work with it.
• Bake and cool 3 or 4 test cookies first, before baking the whole batch.
Cool cookies completely before decorating.
• Roll out your dough and cut out cookies directly on a sheet of parchment to fit your cookie sheet.
• Leave enough space between cut shapes for the cookies to spread a bit when baked.
• The bigger the cutter, the simpler it will be to decorate.
• Place the parchment on the cookie sheet and you’ll have no transfer issues.
• A thin powdered sugar glaze is a great foundation.
• Dip the glazed cookie in sprinkles for a bright sensational cookie.
Homemade cookies make a great gift. Wrap a plate of cookies with a big bow and spoil your loved ones this holiday season. And for all your other holiday shopping needs, be sure to visit the Detroit Holiday Boutique happening November 30 - December 1 at the Suburban Collection Showplace.
NOVEMBER 30 - DECEMBER 2, 2018.
SUBURBAN COLLECTION SHOWPLACE